This is a 'Paper Reading' post for Course ECE1759. The topic is 'Big Data'. This paper list is here:
- Jeffrey Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat, MapReduce: Simplified Data Processing on Large Clusters, OSDI 2004
- Giuseppe DeCandia, Deniz Hastorun, Madan Jampani, Gunavardhan Kakulapati, Avinash Lakshman, Alex Pilchin, Swaminathan Sivasubramanian, Peter Vosshall and Werner Vogels, Dynamo: Amazon's Highly Available Key-value Store, SOSP 2007
- CLP: Efficient and Scalable Search on Compressed Text Logs. Kirk Rodrigues, Yu Luo, Ding Yuan. In the Proceedings of the 15th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI'21). July 14--16, 2021. Pages 183--198.
This is a 'Paper Reading' post for Course ECE1759. The topic is 'Bugs'. This paper list is here:
- Dawson Engler, Benjamin Chelf, Andy Chou, and Seth Hallem, Checking System Rules Using System-Specific, Programmer-Written Compiler Extensions, In Proceedings of the 4th Symposium on Operating System Design & Implementation, October 2000, San Diego, California, pp. 1-16.
- Stefan Savage, Michael Burrows, Greg Nelson, Patrick Sobalvarro, Thomas Anderson, Eraser: a dynamic data race detector for multithreaded programs, ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCS), Nov. 1997, Pages 391-411
- Zhenmin Li, Shan Lu, Suvda Myagmar, Yuanyuan Zhou, CP-Miner: a tool for finding copy-paste and related bugs in operating system code, Proceedings of the 6th conference on Symposium on Opearting Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2004
This is a 'Paper Reading' post for Course ECE1759. The topic is 'Virtualization'. This paper list is here:
- Edouard Bugnion, Scott Devine, and Mendel Rosenblum, Disco: Running Commodity Operating Systems on Scalable Multiprocessors, Proceedings of the Sixteenth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP), October 1997, Saint Malo, France.
- Carl A. Waldspurger, Memory Resource Management in VMware ESX Server, In Proceedings of 5th Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), Dec. 2002
- Keith Adams and Ole Agesen, A Comparison of Software and Hardware Techniques for x86 Virtualization, In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, October 2006.
- [Optional reading] P. Barham, B. Dragovic, K. Fraser, S. Hand, T. Harris, A. Ho, R. Neugebauer, I. Pratt, and A. Warfield, Xen and the Art of Virtualization, In Proceedings of the 19th Symposium on Operating System Principles, October, 2003.
A new design for highly concurrent Internet services designed to support massive concurrency demands and simplify the construction of well-conditioned services. It allows services to be well-conditioned to load, preventing resources from being overcommitted when demand exceeds service capacity.
This is a 'Paper Reading' post for Course ECE1759. The topic is 'File System'. This paper list is here:
- Marshall K. McKusick, William N. Joy, Samuel J. Leffler, and Robert S. Fabry, "A Fast File System for Unix," ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, 2(3), August 1984, pp. 181-197.
- Mendel Rosenblum and John K. Ousterhout, "The Design and Implementation of a Log-Structured File System," Proceedings of the 13th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, December 1991.
- Gregory R. Ganger, Marshall Kirk McKusick, Craig A.N. Soules, and Yale N. Patt. "Soft Updates: A Solution to the Metadata Update Problem in File Systems," ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, Vol. 18, No. 2, May 2000, Pages 127-153.
This is a 'Paper Reading' post for Course ECE1759. The topic is 'Distribution'. This paper list is here:
- Leslie Lamport, Time, Clocks, and the Ordering of Events in a Distributed System, Communications of the ACM 21(7):558-565, July 1978.
- D. R. Cheriton and W. Zwaenepoel, The Distributed V Kernel and its Performance for Diskless Workstations, Proceedings of the 9th Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, pp. 129-140, November 1983.
- Cary G. Gray and David R. Cheriton, Leases: An Efficient Fault-Tolerant Mechanism for Distributed File Cache Consistency, Proceedings of the Twelfth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Priciples (SOSP), December 1989, Litchfield Park, AZ, USA.